Signs of a Good Adoption Agency
Learning you’re expecting when you aren’t planning to be is overwhelming. It’s natural to feel scared and unsure, that’s why we started A Guardian Angel Adoptions, to help women in this circumstance understand their options and help them deal with the feelings of insecurity that come with an unplanned pregnancy.
We know you have a lot of questions and just as many decisions to be made. If you are thinking about adoption, it’s extremely important to know how to find a good adoption agency that will best fit your needs. At A Guardian Angel Adoptions, we are here to give mothers considering adoption all the information they need to make the best decision for themselves and their precious baby.
For over 15 years, we’ve completed hundreds of adoptions and set the standard for what constitutes an ethical adoption. In that time, we’ve learned many things as we’ve worked with hundreds of expectant mothers, birth mothers, adoptive families, adoption agencies, adoption attorneys, and other adoption professionals and we want to share what we’ve learned with you so you can make the best decisions during your journey through the adoption process.
One of the most important decisions you’ll make in your adoption journey is going to be which adoption agency you want to work with. Finding the right agency for you, one that is ethical and actually has your best interest at heart can be tricky. There are countless companies advertising adoption services that claim that they will be there to support you through the adoption process. It’s important to learn all you can about the agency you are considering. Every agency has its own programs and policies as well as staff and connections with potential adoptive families. So what do you need to know, what questions should you ask in order to make the most informed decision? Don’t worry, we’ve compiled a list of questions you should ask as you are looking for the right agency for you:
- Is the adoption agency an agency specializing in domestic (working within the United States) adoptions, or do they specialize in international adoptions? You will want a domestic adoption agency.
- Are they a licensed adoption agency? Some who advertise are actually facilitators, not agencies. Facilitators are not required to provide the same compassion and caring services that licensed adoption agencies provide. You can also ask if the adoption agency has ever had a violation of their license. A violation means they have not kept all the rules required by the licensors for an adoption. This is very important because it tells you if the agency is providing ethical adoption to its expectant mothers, birth mothers, and adoptive families.
- What kind of programs do they offer? Will they offer a customized adoption plan for you?
- What is their adoption process and what do they need from you to begin your adoption plan?
- What kinds of support do they provide for expectant mothers, birth mothers, and adoptive families? Do they offer travel, living expenses, legal and medical help, counseling and support groups?
- Do they have negative social media reviews? Ask them about what is written? Even though there are many things they cannot disclose due to confidentiality, they should be able to explain the situation as well as the outcome in general terms without mentioning identifying information. An ethical adoption agency will be forthcoming about what happened.
- Do they let you choose your adoptive family? What do the prospective adoptive parents need to do to qualify to adopt a child with the agency? What does the home study process look like for them? Can you choose a married couple or a single adoptive parent?
- Does the agency offer open, semi-open and closed adoptions? Does the agency help with contact between adoptive parents and birth mothers before and after the adoption?
- Does the agency ever place your child in Cradle Care or Foster Care before placement with the adoptive family?
- Can you call the adoption agency right up until birth or even after?
At A Guardian Angel Adoptions, we understand that making this decision can be a great burden and we want to provide you with answers, relief, comfort, and help. We hope this list of questions helps lighten your load as you move forward making plans.
Regardless if you just found out you are pregnant or have already delivered you can call us. We are here with a listening ear, a shoulder to cry on, and all the support you need at this difficult time. We have walked the path of adoption with many birth mothers and adoptive families as they journey through the unknown and scary parts. We’ve been able to witness the miracle of adoption and the blessing it can be to both adoptive families and expectant/birth mothers as we join families together. We genuinely believe adoption is not about dividing but about joining. Our staff is comprised of women whose lives have been positively impacted by adoption. They’ve made it their life’s mission to care for expectant mothers, birth mothers, adoptive families, and beautiful newborn babies as they would their own. At A Guardian Angel Adoptions, we promise to answer all of your questions truthfully. To help you make a custom adoption plan that fits your specific needs, including counseling, housing, travel, living expenses, grocery, clothing, medical care, and legal counsel, and to never put your baby in foster or cradle care before placement with your adoptive family. Most importantly, we promise to help you find the adoptive family of your dreams for your little one, and to join you to our big A Guardian Angel Adoptions family forever!